View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
spanz

Default Re: HELP: Barista Burr Grinder Clogged(?)

simple cleaning= remove the burr/plastic holder (make sure little plastic tab is rotated far counter clockwise, or it will not lift out. You might need big plyers to wiggle it out).

Take a long metal probe and run it around the ring gap, dislodging the gunk. Then turn upside down and tap the whole machine or use a vacuum cleaner.

If it keeps clogging, do what I did: modify it. For some reason, there is a ball bearning weighted trap door at the top of the discharge shoot. As my machine got older, it was no loner able to propel the grounds past that trap door. It was completely clogging up after every 3 grinds. I took the machine apart, removed the door, and now it is working fine again.

Use pliers to grap the timer rotating knob, and pull it straight out and off. Turn machine upside down. Take a small flat blade screw driver and pry the black outer housing away from the base slightly near the 4 corners. After the catches are loose, you can slide the cover off. Then take off the silver plastic cover. There is a black rectagular shoot that directs the ground coffee into the collector cup. At the top of that shoot is the (hidden) trap door. Take the unit apart by removing the phillips screws that hold it into the housing. turn the mechanism over, and you will see some more screws holding the grinder mechanism to the while plastic internal body--loosen those too. The black shoot can now pop out. Remove the trap door and discard. Re-assemble.