View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Question Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature...

On the patio this afternoon @ 3:30PM, a pleasant 59*... This is the first time roasting with an outside temp @ 59*. Usually, its been 80* outside on the patio.

I pre-heated the Poppery II for approximately 2 min and measured out my first batch of Sumatra Grd #1 Mandheling at 3.5oz.

When the Poppery heated up to speed, I dumped the green beans and proceeded as usual. The 1st crack however did not occur until app the 4min mark (usually its 2:00 to 2:39min). All in all, I roasted this green bean up to 9:15min to get the following color:

Which I was pleased with, but I feel it took much longer to achieve due to the outside temp this afternoon. Any thoughts regarding my attempt at this roast today?

Unfortunately, I had bottled 7oz of this roast in a Mason jar, and while trying to juggle a majority of the equipment inside, the jar slid off and "exploded" on the brickery. I decided to dump it instead of trying to collect the beans and powdered glass together. Live and learn, but that's the fun of roasting (or homebrewing)