View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Car experts talk to me

(I'm assuming it's an automatic) Crank it, put it in gear. Rev up and watch drive shaft. If DS not turning, Tranny probably dead. Hard to imagine ALL the bolts connecting the torque converter to flywheel would break all at the same time, and that would involve much loud noise! There is possibility torque converter came apart inside, but that has more chance of locking every thing up instead of allowing a "free-spin".

If the tranny wasn't exhibiting ANY symptoms before (slipping, long shift times between gears, difficulty in engaging when cold, etc...), then possible it's a pump gone bad. But that can damage other components. So a Trans shop would rebuild the whole trans. And really, if you get a trans out and opened up, rebuild it all if it makes financial sense. Rebuild prices will vary based on length of warranty you want. I always go with standard one years warranty. If built wrong, it will fail again well within the one year time. If built right and maintained correctly, will last past three year warranty most shops will go to. Here, expect $2000 cost for one year warranty repair.