Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Handgun Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
I've never put a scope on a handgun before so i'm looking for suggestions. It's going on a S&W 460xvr and it will be used for hunting. (hogs, deer, bear) Realistically a shot too far over 100 yards with a handgun is probably not the best shot selection, but with some (lots) of practice 150 is not out of the question. The 460 is going to pack a hell of a recoil so i'm looking at a leupold fx-II 4x28 or vx-3 2.5-8x32, i also looked at the new nikon force xr 2.5-8x28with the BDC recticle but it's so new i can't find any reviews for it. i took burris with the posi lock out of the picture because i found a dozen or so reviews on cabelas saying the recticle started spinning with the 454-460 calibers.

What would be the advantage of a fixed vs. variable scope? i under stand field of view but is one really more effective than the other? if they're both set for 4x wouldn't target aquisition be the same at that point? the leupolds run $350 and $550, the nikon $300. i have rifles scoped with both brands so i don't doubt the brands, just really wish there were some nikon reviews out there. thanks in advance for any info
Nikon is a solid choice. I use Nikons and I love them. They have a great glass and warranty. You can get pretty much the same product that leupold oppers but cheaper.

Basically, the advantage variable has over fixed is that you will be able to zoom in a bit more. There really isn't any other advantage. Depends on how far you think your going to want to shoot I suppose.

I would just throw a Nikon fixed power on it and call it good man.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote