View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default real or psychosematic

Knew that title would get your attention.

It is a variation of the age old question - Cuban cigars -vs- non-Cuban cigars. Now, there are certain cigars that are special releases (CCs & NCs), please do not those factor into this discussion. I want this to be about cigars that might fit into the regular rotation of most people here. We're talking the everyday cigars. And yes, that may vary greatly from individual to individual based on financial ability, but let's not make this about the limited editions and special releases.

Also, it would be nice if the entire post were read before commenting, as I'd like to get some honest self-introspection (I personally have done some of that).

Here's the background.

There are some who will not smoke an "NC," considering them inferior in every regard. This is not a question about whether Cuban cigars are that much better. Please read on...

For example, the filet mignon is indeed the most tender cut of beef, and is supposed to be the best steak. Indeed, I have had tenderloins that melt in my mouth, I have chewed them with my tongue. But I personally prefer a ribeye - the marbling gives more flavor to it, and while I may never be able to chew one entirely with my tongue, those flavors win 99% of the time.

Now, movng on to the meat of my thinking. I have smoked cigars since 1980, so I have had a few. While I may never have smoked as many as some do on a daily basis, I think I can safely say that I've been around the block once or twice. I have smoked some Cubans from the 70s through the present. Lately, due to some sales and some gifts, I have smoked more than I have previously. I had to seriously consider a few Cubans as part of my blind tasting for a few issues of SMOKE - this was a great experience because I went into each cigar without any presuppositions - this can truly be humbling and eye-opening. And with the sales this last year, I have enjoyed a few more CCs recently.

Through it all, I can confidently say that I have had excellent Cubans, Nicaraguans, Dominicans, and Hondurans (not a big fan of Jamaican, Mexican, Philippine blended cigars though).

As I have watched a number of conversations on a couple different cigar boards, there are a few who are adamant that only Cuban cigars be their choice, I even read someone saying, "I'd rather smoke a mixed filler, machine rolled Cuban than a Padron Anniversario - they are that much better."

I am going to qualify this here - so that there are no accusations intended. In my own experience, I have come to a few conclusions.

Yes, there are different flavors in all cigars. Yes, Cubans have some rather distinctive flavors. But, from my experience, not all Cubans have the same distinctive flavors. Some people claim that Cubans are smoother (rather than harsh) than non-Cubans - I haven't always found that to be true.

This brings up the first simple question in 2 parts:
1a) In your experience, is there one distinctive flavor/aroma characteristic that is solely found in Cuban cigars?
1b) Have you found it present in ALL Cuban cigars?
1c) If you have found them so, describe the "smooth" characteristic that is present (according to your experience) in Cubans -vs- Non.

From my experience then, I have found that there are distinctive flavor and aroma profiles in every single cigar I have smoked. I have some CC and NC sticks in my humidor. I have found that I grab a stick according to what flavor/aroma profile is beckoning to me. There may be other factors that affect that appeal; what I'm doing, what I am eating and/or drinking, who I am with, etc. Although I could grab CCs only till they are gone, I don't. In fact, I don't necessarily want to. They do not always figure into my appeal factor.

This has caused me to ponder whether Cubans are really so much better than other cigars. And my personal taste conclusion is that to my palate, they are not necessarily better, but different. And, it is the difference in all of them that makes certain cigars appeal at certain times.

This brings me to the heart of the matter and my most pressing question(s). (and don't answer for others, this is to be introspective)

2) Is the difference (as may have been noted in question 1) that significant, that Cubans are so much better? Or, is it more of a personal taste issue - where someone prefers the "distinctiveness" of a Cuban so much, that they don't "want" to smoke anything else? (like why I'll take a Ribeye over a Filet Mignon almost every time)

By the way, I have local guy who smokes only Philly Blunts - I have given him different cigars, and now he won't take them when I offer them. He said, "Sorry, no offense, but your cigars taste like crap!" To top it off, the last cigar I had given him was a Punch Corona '98.

Thanks for playing along.

Peace of the Lord be with you.