View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I'm pumped! Last year I planted some hops rhizomes--a pair of Cascades & a pair of Nugget. They had decent growth, nothing spectacular, although I wasn't expecting much since it was their first year and they had to establish a root system.

Was just walking around the "herb" garden and noticed substantial growth already from the Cascades mound--easily 4", and these things hadn't even broken the surface last weekend!

Hop vines can grow 12"/day thru the middle of summer. I'm hoping for a good harvest this year
So it's 2 1/2 months later, and this is how my Cascades look:

I believe the vine system is supposed to stop growing ~ mid-July, when the plant goes into flower to produce the hops cones. I did have a support system attached further up the side of the house, but we just finished residing so that had to go. Gonna have to set up a sturdier trellis system next year!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote