View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Maple-Mustard Ribs

I posted a picture of these here and Peter asked for the recipe. So here it is.

My wife actually found the recipe in People magazine of all places, by a guy named Sharone Hakman. It calls for the cooking to be done in the oven and finished/sauced on the grill. But I did the whole cooking on the grill; the weather's too nice to be doing these indoors.

1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds, toasted
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
3-4 lbs baby back ribs, membranes removed

- About an hour before cooking, sprinkle ribs with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Prepare smoker (or grill for indirect heat), target temp between 200*-225*. I used a medium-sized chunk of apple wood.
- Whisk together both mustards, maple syrup, brown sugar, mustard seeds, garlic, and remaining S&P.
- Place ribs in smoker/grill and cook for one hour.
- Remove ribs and place in heavy duty foil. Liberally brush both sides with mustard mixture. Wrap tightly, return to smoker/grill, and cook for another 3-3.5 hours or until done. Put remaining sauce in the fridge.
- Remove ribs and unwrap. Set up grill for medium heat. Brush ribs on one side with mustard mixture, place that side down on the grill, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until sauce begins to caramelize. Brush top side with sauce, flip over, and again cook for 3-5 minutes or until sauce begins to caramelize. Repeat this two more times.
- Remove ribs and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

Last edited by Porch Dweller; 05-23-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote