Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Son looking at military...advice please

I'm a 17 year weather forecaster enlisted guy who has done and is currently doing Army support. What service depends on him a lot. A young Army troop is going to have a more regimented life. Leadership is accountable for more bodies so a bit more controlling. In the Air Force less so but also less Hoo-Ahh in mission excitement. Out in the fleet travel is great but be ready to live in close quarters. All of this is generalities with exceptions depending on what "job" he gets. So like others said research is key

Gonna echo what others have said. The recruiter is the military car salesman. The boy's life is more important than a car purchase yet think about all the research one does before buying a new ride. I'm not hating on recruiters I seriously thought about doing it a few years ago.

Service academies are great opportunities to pursue. There is much to be said about going the officer route. On the other hand some people are ready to be done with school for while although there is always a school after BMT. So if he is pumped for going right back to the classroom pursue one avenue. If he wants to get to work right away lean enlisted.

The captain I'm currently working with here in Kuwait is a sharp guy, former enlisted forecaster. He is very likely going into pilot training after this deployment. One of my close friends was medical group guy I forget the details of his boring former occupation. He is currently a disk jockey in Afghanistan for AFN radio. My point is one can make changes after being in a while. Of course it is best to set it up right from the start. Pick the "job" and sign for it don't wait till basic training is the best advice.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote