Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.
That would have been my preferred way of cooking it, but I was running short on time, so I gave the high heat cook a try, figuring "What the heck, if it doesn't work, I'm only out less than $6" and it worked. I figured that if I waited for the higher internal tempratures, at the higher cook tempratures, I'd end up with shoe leather.

Something else to note, I don't have a temprature probe at the grate level, I just have a simple aftermarket charbroil thermometer (about $8 at home depot) that I drilled a hole in the lid for and mounted about 2" off the grate surface, under the vent (a bit to the side of the lid hook - and just above it so that when I use the lid hook, I don't catch the thermometer tip). So I don't know exactly how much temprature difference there is from that point to where the meat is sitting.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote