mjcujo
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mathew
Trading: (0)
mjcujo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moncada cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
It’s a reliable prediction that I’m guessing aligns with a cruise ship travel season.
OK, I'll bite. And, yes, this is my very first post to this forum.

I bought this stick at the cigar stand in the tourist (cruise ship) village on Roatan, Honduras. The stand was manned by a young lad who spoke very good English, and his "mother", reportedly the cigar roller, who apparently spoke none. They were selling several sizes in boxes and bundles, and had a number of loose irregulars that they were selling by the stick. I grabbed a handful of these, thinking, "what the heck."

The first one I smoked was roughly a toro in size (~6x52), and had a nice, medium brown, silky wrapper (the young lad at the stand called it an "oscuro", but it was not nearly dark enough to attain that standard), and a short, torpedo-like cap. Construction looked and felt superb, with a consistently firm body (no soft spots), very light veining, and flawless wrapper and cap. The foot appeared evenly and tightly packed.

I cut the cap about half way along the torpedo shape to get the draw I like, and toasted the foot. I'm not the guy to go to for flavor notes and nuances. I would consider this a medium bodied smoke with pleasant, mellow flavor, even on the retro-hale. Nothing too spicy, peppery or harsh.

The ash built up light and flaky, and I could only accumulate about 3/4-inch before it fell off the stick. Ample smoke was generated while actively smoking, and it dropped quickly to a very slow smolder on the rest.

The burn line was a little jagged, but otherwise even. Certainly nothing close to requiring any corrections.

The mild flavor(s?) held steady to the end. More mild than I tend to gravitate toward, but very pleasant nonetheless. I usually pair my smokes with a good whisky(ey), but smoked this one with a cup of hot chamomile tea. I would definitely recommend drinking something that will leave your taste buds intact to get the most out of this cigar.

As others have noted, this is a really good, inexpensive (if you don't include the cost of travel) cigar. No regrets.
mjcujo is offline   Reply With Quote