View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #614
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't feel that I know enough about it to know if I would prefer 70% or if I should try to get it down to 60-65%.

I was concerned that beetles may appear at 73 degrees and that would freak me out.
Some folks experience burn issues with RH at higher levels. If your cigars seem to you to be smoking fine, then don't sweat the RH. My concern would be that if your RH goes up even slightly, you will very likely experience burn problems. I prefer low to mid-60s RH not only for how they smoke but it provides a comfortable margin should the RH rise.

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to beetles appearing. From what I have read (and I believe) is that sustained temps above 80 are where you really need to be concerned. Think of the climates in the DR, Cuba and Central America. A lot warmer than 73.

I live in San Diego, have no temp control in my humidor and only use the central AC sporadically when needed.