Thread: RH Question
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Tyler

Default RH Question

I am new here and will head to the introduction section after this post. I had a question though...er multiple questions.

I recently purchased a digital round Xikar hygrometer from my local B&M. I did the salt test in a mason jar with a half shot glass full of salt and dampened it with water. I let it sit for roughly 10 hours (I was a little late on getting to it) and it read 79% 66F. My question is does the temperature make a difference? I had been directed to a website which had the different RH levels for different temperatures for it to equal the same conditions as 70% 70F. Link is here. It states that at 66F a RH of 80% would be equivalent to 70% 70F. Here is where I am confused as hell and maybe I am over thinking. Does the digital hygrometer take into account the temperature to determine the RH or is each independent? Furthermore, would the that make my Hygrometer +3% or because of the temperature is it less than that? I know the RH is supposed to be 75% in the salt test but if the water was over saturated would that make a difference as well?

I apologize for all of the questions but I recently found cbid and kind of just bought 175 cigars (and counting ) and I want to make sure that my hygrometer is accurate.

I also am thinking of doing a cooler-dor as my current humidor says it holds 200 cigars but the cigars I ordered are mostly 50+ ring gauge. I bought some KL to use instead of the beads and I know there is some debate over these. This is also another reason I want to know that my hygrometer is accurate is so that I can use the KL and be able to adjust to get the correct humidity.

Anyways, sorry to have a really long first post and I hope I didn't ask too many questions.

Maybe I am just over thinking.