Thread: Pipe smoking?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
B.L. Sims

Default Re: Pipe smoking?

Sounds like you experienced a bad cigar. There are plenty of crappy ones out there (often machine made) that are nothing but a big cigarette. Good cigar flavor just cannot be compared to that of a cigarette. I suggest trying some different sticks.

While aromatics (like your friends cherry blend) often smell amazing and are what initially lured most new pipe smokers in, the taste often ranges from "good" to "sucking on an ash tray" because lesser quality tobacco is often used. Ive got a few aro blends and ive found this to be true in my case (and im buying the tinned stuff). Some are downright harsh no matter how much I play with drying them out.

Non aromatics (non flavored/infused) blends are (to me) much more enjoyable and they comprise about 95% of what I have in stock and are what I go to 99% of the time. You still get that rich full "pipe tobacco smell" and it actually tastes good! Ive seen the light.

That being said, try everything out and decide for yourself. Get a cob and a couple different samplers of tobacco and have at it!