View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pushing the Seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Piperman View Post
Well, I pulled everything and added 2 sponges soaked in distilled water, on flat plates with good air circulation. At the same time, we had a huge thunderstorm, and I decided to pull the plug on the empty humidor, rather than have it get fried by a lightning strike.

Next day, RH up to 89%, and it's been there ever since (this was Thursday night).

I never thought that having the humidor turned on and set a 68F would drop the RH, but there you have it. It's been off since, seasoning at room temp (about 80F here right now). I have no doubt that even tho it's a Thermoelectric device, turning it on will drop the RH again.

How long should it sit at 89% to season the shelves and drawers before I put cigars in and turn it on to 70F? I'm also going to be putting 3 XL tubes of 65% Heartfelt beads for humidification....plus a few 65% Bovedas since I have them, for good measure.

Thanks!!!!!

CW
Like Bob said; it's probably good already. When you turn on the cooling your RH may spike so don't over fill the beads; leave some capacity for them to absorb some of that moisture. I'd wait to put your sticks in until it levels out.
At 80°F and 89% RH your dew point is 77°F so when you lower the temp below the dew point you get condensation.