View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough
Default Pipe Noob... A Million Questions

I've been an avid cigar smoker now for 3 years and had it not been for an article in the most recent Cigar Mag. on vintage pipe tobacco blends, I doubt my interest in pipes would have ever been stirred. Nonetheless, they have and here I am... with many questions.

While, I have what seems like a million questions, I'll limit it to a couple here.

I have a pipe (a used estate pipe I got off of Ebay cheap)... I'm not sure if this was a wise move or not, but it's where I'm at.

I have a Czech tool, pipe cleaners and even a bit of tobacco the B&M gave me to try.

Q1: Which is preferred for lighting, matches or lighter and am I correct that my cigar torch lighter should not be used?

Q2:I know pipes tend to go out much more than cigars, what's the general rule for smoking... how often should you puff?

Q3: Does it matter how far down you smoke the tobacco? I know when a cigar begins to turn bitter or hot it's reached its end. Does a pipe offer similar end indications?

Thanks for whatever advice you can give me. Already, I'm learning tons about pipes and am excited to begin this next chapter in my smoking adventures.