Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jambalaya

Ahh, jambalaya, one of my favorite foods, and possibly my favorite food to make. I use a sort of "wing it" approach when making jambalaya, and have adjusted the recipe to fit my girlfriends picky diet.

-I generally start with 2 onion 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 2 chicken breasts, and a package of turkey sausage or kielbasa.

-start by cutting the chicken in to 1" cubes, and saute in the bottom of a large pot with a bit of oil. Remove and set aside.
-Add chopped veggies, and just enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan. Simmer veggies in the broth until cooked through, adding more broth if needed(I do this because she doesn't like crunchy veggies)
-add 2 cans peeled, diced, chopped tomatoe, and the spices (this is where I wing it. I use about 1tbsp Cajun, 1/2tsp Cayenne, 1Tbsp Chili powder, and quite a few dashes of hot sauce, and 5 bay leaves)
-simmer 15 minutes
-add 1 tiny can of tomato paste, and the chicken and sausage. Continue simmering until it is as spicy as you like. I usually let it go for about another 30 minutes, adding more broth, and stirring every few minutes.

-At this point theres a hard way and an easy way

1 - the easy way to do this is to just add about 5 cups of cooked Minute rice, and stir.

2 - the hard way is to add 2 cups of rice, and about 2 more cups of Chicken Broth, and simmer until the rice is done, adding more broth as needed

- Finally, simmer until it's as thick as you need.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote