View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
SilverFox

Default Re: SilverFox is going to ride 200km to help conquer cancer

First Training ride

Well it is April 3rd and I figured I should get out on my bike and do my first real ride of the season to see how I feel being back in the saddle.
I had to take my mountain bike as the good people of Bow Cycle currently have my road bike in for some much needed maintenance.

I picked what I thought would be a reasonable distance with little to no elevation changes.............call me chicken but hey it is the first ride.
So I mapped out a 19.6km circuit and proceeded on my way.

Here is my circuit

First thing I noticed was the wind.........we had 30 to 40km gusts today and it was around 5 degrees. Hmmmmmm oh well only 20k and no big hills right.........not so ended up I had a whack of hills and after the first 5km I ended up on gravel roads (so much for planning) all in all I am glad I had the mountain bike because the tires on my roady would have taken a beating and made this a much more challenging ride.
And hills hell the whole first 15km seemed uphill.

Here are is a link to halfway up a particularly cranky hill with the wind in my face
Looking up the rest

Down to where it started

In the end it was not a bad ride the first 15k was challenging the last 4 and a bit was somewhat rolling and relaxing through some back country paved roads.

Did the entire run in 75min so averaged about 15km/h with a pretty intense amount of elevation. Have to say I am pretty happy with that.
I pick up my roady this week and will get another ride or two in this week on it to see if I can up the speed a little.

I thank all my contributers for taking an interest and opening their wallets and their hearts.

My thanks to you all, I am looking forward to riding for all of you.

Not sure who if any will read but I will track my rides and progress and whatever else of interest that might be worth writing and go from there.

I have a couple things to pick up for the overnight and the ride but other than some practice I am pretty much set.