View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #62
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavac View Post

Pretend you've just purchased this rather nice humidor. Would you mind going step by step what you'd do to get it ready for cigars? Preferably how to season, how long, beads or no, and how long before I can add cigars.

Thanks guys.
I have several humidors like the Foot Locker. There are several ways to season and what I do is not commonly adhered too but it works for me. I wiped down the humidor with a lightly, I repeat lightly, damp cloth of distilled water. Then I placed a bowl of distilled water in the microwave and heated it up for 30 seconds and placed it in the humidor. I repeated that every 12 hours for 2 days. The humidity was very high so I let it come down naturally to about 70%. It took a few more days for that to happen. Then loaded them up. They keep great humidity and I keep them between 59 and 63%. Alot of folks say not to wipe down because it can warp the wood. But if done lightly, I don't think there will a problem. I have always done it with no problems.

Beads are a great way to maintain humidity and I recommend them as I am sure the majority here does, as well. You should be able to take those humidifiers that come with it and take the foam out and place beads in there but I recommend you place your humidifier source in the bottom center of the humidor. Humidity rises.

Good luck!