Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cast Iron Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
There's always cast iron pans or enamel cast iron (le creuset) on craigslist for much cheaper than new. These pans last lifetimes, so no worries buying used.
Not only do they last forever, unless they have been abused, it is really difficult to permanently damage one! Though I have appraised more than one house where they were being used as dog dishes outside, and were rusted and pitted beyond resurrection!

Heck, check around yard sales and flea markets. As long as it's not made in China, but is stamped with a manufacture (especially Lodge, of course), they should be safe to use, and there are deals to be had! I purchased three pans (1 wedge cornbread, 1 stick cornbread and an 8 inch frying pan) from a local flea market (that likes to think they are an antique store!) for a total of $20 last year. Presents for my (then) new DIL. I've picked up several of them free from individuals that have no idea how to use them, and just set them aside as "too hard to use". It's amazing where, and how cheap these can be had used!