View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cast Iron Anyone?

I picked up a piece a couple of years back that I thought was a different cornbread pan. Someone had sand blasted (or bead blasted?) the majority of the pan, and it had some surface rust due to a lack of oil after the idiot blasted it!

It has 7 cooking "cups" in a circular pattern with one in the middle of the six. Only, the "cups" were round on the bottom. And, the name indented into the top near the handle was a strange word, that starts with an "A E" joined into a single letter. AEbleskiver. I thought the name was the manufacturer, but it was the name of the item cooked in the pan. I did some internet searches, and found the name readily. It was for a Danish fruit tort (most often time apple - the name interpreted to "apple slices"). The idea was that the batter was put in the hot cup, it was allowed to set for a little bit for the bottom half to crust over, then a fork is used to rotate the batter ninety degrees, allowing uncooked batter to spill oven into the cup area, giving a tort that was now crusted over on 3/4 of it's surface. Filling was then added in the middle, and the tort was rotated the final 90 degrees, letting the remaining batter spill into the cup, and giving you a round tort with fruit in the middle, a little bit smaller than a baseball. There were many recipes available on the web.

I cooked cornbread in it a couple of times, but never did the rotation thing, as it was just too much trouble at the time. I still have it tucked away, and will probably give it a try for it's true intended use one day when I have nothing else to do. In the meantime, I cook cornbread in it several times a year, just to get the surface back to a slickness that will actually allow a rotation attempt.

This is pretty much the type I have:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...RhTTGrP4QuxGrg

It appeared to be an older design than this, but I have no idea of the actual age.