View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need Help With Some Gifted Wine

Poet,

Actually, whites age WAAAAAY better than reds, as a RULE. As in Champagne, Vouvray, Riesling, sweet whites (Sauterne anyone?), Quarts de Chaume and others.

That said, I'd be curious to see how any of these whites turn out. Most cheaper CA whites are not made to age and with age turn to vinegar. Have to see which glass was actually used on that Buena Vista, but the color of the wine tells me it has oxidized a while ago. 25 year old Sauvignon? Best of them don't age well and are not meant to age at all, actually.

Meridian comes from a overripe year in CA, in general, and high yield Central Valley specifically, with very low acidity and no balance to carry it through.

Beajoulais is worth a shot, although it is not Morgon and isn't meant to be aged.
Moses, you seem to contradict your hero, Parker :-) Not that I disagree with you... I had my last bottle of 1998 Napa Viognier last year, from Pride. It tasted GREAT in every respect, but Pride is considered Top 3 Viognier vineyard around, IMO, and aged in neutral wood (so no oak at all). I am not sure I'd place a bet on the bottles above, doubt good storage conditions on any of these, actually would bet against good storage since no one buys CA cheap whites to age them. Nor reds. They are made to drink short term, as is 95% of the world wine.

Its akin to buying Garcia & Vega to age them, but hey, always worth 10 minutes' time to go through them before you open a good bottle of beer.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote