Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Aquired taste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
49 years and I still haven't acquired a taste for it.
You've been drinking that clear stuff so long, you have lost all tatses for anything that doesn't start with vodka!!!

On a serious note, I'm a BIG bourbon fan. I've tried probably 25-30 different scotches. I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) the scotches that I have actually enjoyed! But haven't enjoyed any of them enough to put the bourbon on a back shelve! I would not just give up on scotch. There are as many different scotchs as bourbons. The few I find drinkable have a decent smokiness, but lack what I can only describe as a drink straight out of an iodine bottle!!! I can pop a cork on a bottle and smell that iodine, and I just put it right back down! Watering down, adding ice.... Might help you, but to me it just tastes the same as straight, only watery. Adding water or ice, for me, never helped me pick out ant different flavors, it just muted the flavors I did find. I understand that it is recommended in many cases, but it just has never worked with my taste buds. I've probably burned out my buds smoking cigars and drinking bourbon!!!

Oh yeah, Tom...... I like vodka, but it stop liking me about 20 years ago. It was a staple as college student (yeah, high-school also), but many years ago, it started giving me intense stomach pain when I drank it!