View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Plain Packaging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
I've got no huge problem with it. I really don't think the government needs to poke it's nose into personal stuff, but I can see the long term benifits as opposed the the upfront cost of this.

Cigars are being lumped in with cigarettes and dip. Even though for most, cigars are smoked out of pleasure instead of addiction.

Cutting smoking cigs by a healthy percent will reduce health costs in the billions for the small cost of repackaging, while still letting people who enjoy their vice still have it.

An ugly bag is a small price to pay to keep your freedom and still help with a problem that for a lot of people, who get hooked just trying to look cool.
They tried to impose packaging here, such as is found in Canada, and it was struck down as an un-Constitutional infringement on First Amendment rights.

"We are fast approaching the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do as it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." --Ayn Rand