View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tips for a fertilizer/weed control as I seed this spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Have you priced out sod or are you just guessing at the cost? When my wife and I bought our house 4 years ago it was new construction so the builders definition of a lawn was much different than ours. When we priced out our options, having top soil brought in and than seeding and all that goes along with growing a new lawn it was about the same cost as it was for us to just go the sod route. Granted I did the work myself but price wise they were almost equal for us. Either way I would have been doing the leg work myself. I rented a commercial machine to till what we already had which I would have done either way so that cost was moot and than had a turf company deliver 12 palates of sod which was nice as I had them drop the palates in different areas of the yard so I wouldn't have to hump sod from the street or driveway the whole time. The nice part was when I was done it was instant gratification where as with seed it takes weeks and your not always guaranteed successful results. After tilling up what we had it literally took us a day and a half to roll it all out. Many of our neighbors went the other route and to be honest I still think we have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. For me to go with seed I would have had to lay at least 2inches of topsoil so it still would have been PITA. Depending on what you currently have I almost always recommend bringing in at least an inch of topsoil when starting a new lawn from seed. In my opinion it gives you better odds of the lawn coming in thick and healthy.
If I were new construction, I would do sod for the reasons you stated. Problem is in getting approximately 1300 sq yards cut out, new topsoil put down, and then laying down 20 pallets worth. That doesn't even take into account there's now way to get the topsoil to my back yard without hoofing all of it.

This is a google maps pic...my house is at the top and neighbor's is below. Hard to really tell that much, but you can see quite a contrast in my back yard and my neighbor's yard. His entire back yard is already thick and dark green and I barely had enough to even cut yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house.jpg (16.8 KB, 197 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote