Thread: nice rums?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #72
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

You're missing out. I find Pyrat to be fairly sweet, so in that way it's similar to Zaya and Zacapa, but the flavors are very different. Pyrat is a little lighter in body, I'd say medium at most, while Zacapa is more full. I get a dominant orange flavor from Pyrat that pushes everything else out of the picture, while Zacapa is more molasses, vanilla, and a little wood. Haven't tried it, but I hear the new Zaya is similar, with much more emphasis on vanilla.

Barbancourt is a different animal altogether. It's not a sweet rum, and the flavors depend on which bottle you buy (i.e. the age of the rum). The older versions are fuller bodied rums with 'darker' flavors, not as bright as the sweet rums.

Rhum Clement is also an entirely different thing, being a rhum agricole from Martinique. That type of rum tends to present more floral flavors, no molasses, little wood, and a medium body. It's a little more complex, and a little more subtle than the 'in your face' rums like Zacapa. If you can find it, grab a bottle.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote