ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Official Asylum Freshwater Tank Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR View Post
Here's a stock list for you.....

3 groups of different Apistogramma cichlid species
20-30 Neons or Cardinals
6-10 Cories (Sterbai cories are great)
a single pearl gourami would probably do well with these fish as well as a couple misc plecos. Don't do common or sailfin plecos as they get way too big for a 75.
Ray, I appreciate your help. Thanks for chiming in.

You know, I had been looking at Apistogramma cichlids -- well, cichlids in general -- before I'd done any reading on them simply because they're beautiful and quite colorful. But I quickly dismissed them as candidates for my 'Beginner's Tranquil Community Tank' because according to, say, LiveAquaria.com, Apistos are not only semi-agressive, but also difficult to care for.

And Wikipedia says, 'Apistogramma species are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry. Apistogramma are best kept in species-only tanks... Although popular, Apistogramma species are not recommended for inexperienced cichlid hobbyists.' Sheesh. So, while Apistos are beautiful fish, I'm reluctant to build a community tank around these guys on my first foray into fishkeeping. Know what I mean?

I assembled the rough-draft stock list I posted using LiveAquaria's compatibility chart as a reference. The chart is not super easy to read, and I guess one has to take these charts with a grain of salt anyway, but New World Cichlids are listed as either "caution required" or "not compatible" with everything besides plecos. Would you disagree with the "difficult" rap Apistos get, Ray? Are you not a big fan of the other stuff on my shortlist, or is it just that you're a big fan of cichlids?

Thanks again for taking the time.