View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Smoqman
Gimme de Liga!

First Name: Joel
Trading: (1)
Smoqman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Not sure how I feel about this?

I love technology and am immersed in it. However the one thing I do not like and that I find incredibly unsettling is that most of the technology featured in this video removes any anonymity from our lives. All of the interesting tidbits in this video are seeable by so many others - so many others that want to control your lives, send you advertising based on what you do each day and to influence what you do and what you buy. Yes, that is present now: you use your credit card at the gas pump, then buy a diet pepsi in the store with the same card. That information is tracked and stored and is later used to sell you more goods that are in some way similar to what you've just purchased or that are purchased by other people who use their cc at the pump and then buy a soda.... maybe a % of the people who did the same go somewhere else afterward and then that gathered data "predicts" what others might want to do based on what others have already done... and you are then FED that. That is what we experience now, in the most subtle, ways, but it is there….and getting much, much more pervasive in our lives.

Take a day, or two and see if you can follow what your cc, online shopping or ancestry.com info is predicting and trying to sell you.

Last edited by Smoqman; 12-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Smoqman is offline   Reply With Quote