Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Has anyone evr used peach wood to smoke? I would think it would go best with pork or chicken but I have no cluse as to how it would turn out. I have some from a large tree branch I just trimmed and want to know if it's worth keeping the wood.

Most definitely worth keeping.

You can BBQ/smoke with just about any fruit wood (I've actually never heard of one you can't BBQ/smoke over) and quite a number of hardwoods.

Peach is FANTASTIC for pork. Great on poultry. Good on fowl. Lost on beef. Fish kind of depends on the fish.

You can do peach wood straight up or mix it with other woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I am thinking of going to an apple farm to ask about some apple wood. Is it worth the time? I have one about 25 mins away. I have never used apple.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can get it, sure. Apple is a great wood, has a unique pungent flavor and odor. Also, nothing will give a wonderfully gorgeous golden brown color to chicken like apple will.

Good as part of a blend of woods. I like mixing it with hickory and sometimes mesquite, when I want to tone them down a bit. Good for milder meats (everything but red meat, it seems to get lost there).

Makes for some killer interesting smoked extra sharp cedar cheese too.

------------

Experimentation is the best way to learn what you like and don't like and what goes well together and what doesn't.

You can smoke with most any fruit or nut wood, in fact, I don't think I've ever heard of one you can't BBQ/smoke with. As for hardwoods, most hardwoods are ok too, but there are a few exceptions.

Here's a list and some descriptions to get you started:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote