View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Different kinds of places to buy cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobarbq View Post
Don't they though? Actually, what was going through my mind when I bought them-I was thinking about some recent research I did on Mark Twain. I am working on some plans related to the stamp issue coming out next year to honor him, and I have been reading about his taste for what most of us (and his cohorts back then) would call terrible cigars. Turns out he actually liked them, something about that was the kind of cigars he started smoking when he was just a kid, and I guess he had developed a taste for them. Interesting character and cigar smoker for the ages.

I have low expectations for them, for sure.
"Terrible" to whom?

You do understand that 5 cents back then was actually good money, right? Especially for a cigar. Now read up on Oppenheimer and see how he made his zillions on "terrible cigars" (yeah, same Oppenheimer of Wall Street fame these days).

Gurkha still sells every stick made (at a premium no less), Garcia & Vega are still in business, I can go on. So, what is a "terrible cigar"?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote