View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #770
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I'd like to bring the local, non 60 second newscast slant into the Memphis/Fred Smith story.
First of all, it should be noted and stated up front that Fred Smith was born in Mississippi
and educated in Memphis. He basically built the FedEx forum, one of the nicest BBall arenas
in the country, for the Memphis Tigers and Memphis Grizzlies to play in. He gives millions of
dollars to the UM every year. His son transferred to the University of Memphis to play ball
and is not good enough to start, not good enough to play 2nd string and my never take the field.
The UM has got it's hand out 24/7 to this man and basically looks at him with puppy dog eyes
everytime they need big money, like say when Cal fags out and walks to Kentucky. He put up
a ton of money to try to keep Cal from GOING to UK, but John was running away from his second
final 4-vacating scandal and PLAYED UM and FS like a fiddle, knowing he was not going to stay.

To say that he is buying his son's way into whatever these fly by night media dick$ have concocted
is a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire situation. Not capping on anyone here that
heard something and figured it was a funny thing to say, I am capping on the sports media that
fed it to you. If people get laid off at Fed Ex it is because package volume was down in a recession.
What a man decides to do with his millions of personal wealth is his own business. One has nothing
to do with the other.
Thanks for the local color, Brad. And as for the "local color" I added at the end of your post, that's pretty much how I feel too, and said above.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote