View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why don't NC cigar makers put dates on boxes?

Tyr,

Lot of variables at play there. Ease and convenience of availability (or lack thereof at times for CC) and use of aged tobacco in the construction of NCs are big factors.

I'm not so sure that the "average" consumer here is that much different than the "average" consumer in a country where Cuban cigars are legal and readily available. At one time I watched plenty of people walk into B&M's in Europe, grab a few Cuban cigars or a box, never look at the date code, pay for them, and walk out, basically no different than the average consumer here.

Because we have to jump through hoops to get Cuban cigars here, hoarding is only natural.

Addressing the other point I raised, some Cuban cigars are good to smoke fresh, while some need years of age, and others, while they might not "need" it, definitely benefit from it. This makes the date code a valuable piece of info to place a frame of reference on the cigars. The use of aged tobacco in the NC cigars lessens the importance of the date code significantly, since, at least with a significant percentage of the cigars available, they are ready to smoke when you receive them.

Do I feel that NCs would benefit from a date code on the box? I'm mixed on that. It could just as easily backfire and cause a perception of old = "stale" with some masses.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote