View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #761
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

OK, I guess I could post that Colorado has become the first of perhaps many Big 12 schools to bolt that dying conference, and that the Buffaloes will join the Pac-10. Or I could report that the Hartford Courant yesterday reported details of an internal memo from 1999 which warned the UConn basketball staff to avoid contact with former team manager Josh Nochimson because the NCAA considered him to be an agent - which sort of blows a hole in Calhoun's assertions that the 8 violations presently being investigated were entirely unintended and accidental. But the REAL story follows:

The NCAA has ruled that the athletic department at Southern Cal "exhibited a lack of institutional control from 2005 through 2009 for a wide array of rules violations committed in its football, men's basketball and women's tennis programs." Their multiple penalties include:

A postseason ban for football in 2010 and 2011.

A loss of 30 total football scholarships over the 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons.

A vacation of all football victories from Dec. 2004 through the 2005 season, which includes their national championship win over Oklahoma.

Acceptance of USC's self-imposed penalties on its basketball program, including forteiture of all wins in 2007-08, and a one-year ban.

All stats vacated for Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo, and an unnamed women's tennis athlete.

All titles won during ineligible games must be vacated, and trophies and banners must be removed.

Forfeiture of wins in the women's tennis program from May 2006 - May 2009.

Reduction of recruiting days for the men's basketball program in 2010-11.

Four years of probation.

Bottom line? When it comes to collegs sports anyway, Vince Lombardi was wrong . . . winning is NOT the only thing.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote