View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
mike_in_sa

Default Noob - What to Smoke??

Hey All

I am new to the forum and definitely new to cigars. I began smoking them within the last couple of weeks. My picking method amounts to pin the tale on the donkey with the first couple. I've picked some others based on online searches for beginner cigars and came across the Arturo Feunte Gran Reserva and Special Seleciton. I like them both and give the nod to the latter.

My question is how do I know what to try and what to stay away from as a new cigar smoker? I currently have the following in my meager collection:

Arturo Fuente Exquisito
Arturo Fuente Short Story
Nub Connecticut
Olivia Serie V Double Robusto
Acid Blondie
Cohiba Robusto

Last night I smoked the Nub 358 Habano which was excellent. Mild, smooth, and quite long lasting. I also had an Arturo Fuente Best Seller that I was looking forward to trying, but a friend came over and I just couldn't let him sit there watching me smoke (I think we have another lunatic getting ready to enter the Asylum!).

Also, I want to jump in on the NST, but I do not want to send out sub-standard cigars to our seasoned members. Any ideas on what I should get in order to prepare for a trade?

Lastly, I am looking for better storage than the resealable baggies I'm getting from my local cigar joints. I've been told to go the cooler route, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle. Been thinking I'll go with a real humidor, but I'm trying to research tupperware as a stop gap. At this point I am not leaning one way or the other...just looking for seasoned vets to give the best path to follow. Thoughts?

Ok - I lied, this is actually my last question. I've been surfing Joe's Cigars and other daily deals sites. How do I know what is worth trying and what isn't?

Please help as I am quickly approaching information overload!!

Sorry for the long post, but I already know this is going to become an obsession.

Mike
The Mad Monkey On the Loose