Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2010 Formula One Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I totally disagree. The fastest car should be awarded with the pole position simple as that. Just run mid pack and you’ll always start mid pack. Talk about boring.
That is exactly what leads to the parades for which F1 has become all too well know for of late. The race itself is becoming secondary to qualy, might just as well turn it into an individual timed spirit like WRC and give the trophy out at the end of Saturday's session forgetting about Sunday altogether. The point that I'm trying to make is that the drivers and teams wouldn't know before the end of Qualy if it was an inverted race so there'd be no point in trying to go either slow (to grab the inverted pole) or mid-pack.

Quote:
Hamilton and Schumacher pass people because they are the best drivers and when they are against the best drivers in the front, there is not as much passing. Who cares if Schumacher passes Petrov to 15th place.
If you look at almost every race over the last couple years the coverage is almost NEVER the lead car, it's always in the pack where Schmacher is trying to pass Petrov etc. Why? It's simply not exciting to watch one car rip around a track, even if that car happens to be leading the race. The excitement is in the battles. And don't forget, those are the top 24 drivers in the world on that grid..... they all have the ability to both win on any given day and to spoil the day of a higher ranked driver. Cases in point; Schumacher in almost every race this year, Button vs Kobayashi last year. It was Kobayashi's first start in an F1 car and he managed to prevent Button from passing for how long? That was one of the most exciting battles I've seen in a very long time and it was for what, 14th position?

No, while it would be nice to have every exciting battle occur at the front of the pack the reality is that usually whoever has the right setup that weekend is running his own race well ahead and the real excitement is in the pack. Forcing the fast cars to run their way up through the pack to the front in one or two races per season would make for VERY exciting racing.

Quote:
FIA has succeeded in making at least Qualifying more exciting. The format works great.
Qualy should NEVER substitute for the race itself, that's completely stupid yet it's what F1 has become in many cases.

Quote:
As for the racing, the effort has been on making F1 less expensive than making the show better. They have failed at making less expensive and drove the manufacturers away. Making the show better is Bernie’s problem, not Max’s.
I agree that the focus on reducing cost was idiotic, however they've also had a huge focus on trying to increase passing. It's why they dropped from V10's to V8's and why the aero packages have been so heavily reduced. The problem is still finding a way to overcome the dirty air that trails .5 - .75 sec behind these cars and kills the performance of when trying to catch up enough to get into slipstream. Unfortunately I don't think physics will ever allow passing in the same manner as you get in stock car, and FIA needs to realize this and move on. Exploit the strengths of the sport instead of trying to force it into something it's not.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote