Thread: Chatanooga?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chatanooga?

One thing to consider is what state has the best tax structure, Tennessee or Georgia. For example, Tennessee does not have state income tax, except on dividends and interest income. Depending on which side of Chattanooga you would be working on, you can easily live in either state, since Georgia state line is basically thru the south 1/3 of the city. Been thru the city a hundred times, but not much time spent there looking at residential areas. The big, new commercial area is east of town off I-75 North, at Hamilton Place (I think I remember the name right). Lots of Interstate construction just past (east of) that area, but most of work from that area into town seems to be completed. I-24 thru the center of town is a curvy, busy stretch, and the I-24/I-75 junction is ALWAYS busy. On the other hand, if you are working on the northeastern end of town, I-75 south runs into Georgia only about 3 miles south of the split, so which state to live in becomes a consideration there also. Not much happening southwest of town off I-24, much more rural in nature.

Great town for attractions. The freshwater Aquarium is excellent, and they're good about updating and changing the exhibits; Rock City is good the first time; the Incline is gut tightening; Never been to Ruby Falls; Spent several Boy Scout camping trips inside of Chickamauga National Park (a great place to visit, with a lot of bicycle riders - if your into riding). Your about 2 hours from Smokey Mountains National Park, about 30 minutes more to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, and within a couple hours for several nice whitewater rafting locations.