5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bit of a Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
So, after much soul searching and difficult days, I've decided I really don't like my job enough to justify staying in it. I need a career change. I've been following the money for too long, I need to do what is right for me, and what I think will make me the happiest.

I am taking the necessary steps to go back to school to get an education degree, to teach English. This is going to be a multi-year process, likely a year of prereqs and about 2 years of masters classes, followed by a student teaching stint.

So the real question is, when do I tell my current boss? It's going to be about three years before I am ready to leave, but during most of that time, I will be taking classes. Work will only pay for school if it is for advancement within a related business area, so a CS degree or an MBA would fly, but I'll be paying for this myself, as well as still having to pay mortgage, etc, so I don't want to lose my job before I am ready.
I'll put it to you like a good friend of mine put it to me brother. If they were going to lay you off / replace you / fire you etc. etc. How much time would they give you / how much notice etc.??? Yea that's right none. My advice keep to yourself, this is for you not them. So keep them out of it. When your ready to bail it's up to you on how you want to leave. But, until then I say keep it under wraps. With things the way they are now ( economy ) I wouldn't be surprised that if you let the cat out of the bag on this one, you might be out on your ass looking for a job in the field you hate.

I recently changed careers also. If you need someone to talk to please let me know. I was in your situation not that long ago...I might not be able to offer specific advise about your field, but the experience was worth a lot.