View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #80
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
Smoking some of the No.1 sMYRna right now
Think I am leaning towards the no.14 more, With alot of lighter tobaccos i taste a bit if i exhale through the nose, but beyond that its like Hot air.. no flavor. Sense i've been smoking the pipe i havent really smoked much for cigars in a week or so, Does my pallet just need to stick with the Pipe before i can appreciate the lighter milder blends?
this is the same thing that happened to me when i switched from cigars back to pipes. couldn't taste the milder tobaccos at all, was missing all kinds of flavors that were there, my palate was just so use to being bombarded with flavors in my face from cigars.

the Smyrna #1 isn't as "in your face" as #14 (no latakia).
Oriental #14 was a fav of mine when i started back with pipes. i could taste it, it had some ooomph to it. a couple months or less later, i started to get some flavors from the milder blends. now that im more experienced, i think it could've been 2 things. first, my taste buds were numb from the cigars, or second, the tobaccos themselves were muted due to not having any time to air out and dry up a bit (just like overhumidified cigars = muted flavors).
so, give it some time, in another month or two, you'll be picking up the little flavors you were missing before in the milder blends. they're there, they just aren' there to come smack the taste out of your mouth (figuratively and literally).