Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #85
lou2row

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #7

Construction: 6.5 x 50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper

Pre-Light Draw: Not much flavor detectable

First Third: The first inch was horrid. Bitterness and ammonia is strong. I was tempted to put this stick down, but I figured I would struggle through so I can give it a full review. Ammonia settled down and was replaced by leathery and earthy flavors. I'm not a big fan of earthy flavor, but at least it wasn't ammonia.

Second Third: Very earthy still, but some sweetness is mixed in as well. The sweetness is almost like a Smores bar. Marshmallow and chocolate are detectable. This cigar isn't bad anymore.

Final Third: Marshmallow and chocolate dissapear and the earthy/leatheriness is the only flavor detectable.

Final Thoughts: Although the first third was horrible, the rest of the cigar wasn't bad. I'm not a fan of earthiness, but I did enjoy the marshmallow and chocolate pairing in the second third. Would I smoke this cigar again? No offense meant, but probably not.

EDIT: I would guess that this is the second Gurkha.

EEE's take:
#7 (torp)

pre-draw - air, too much, lose draw. Slight tobacco

Initial light: Easy to take hold of the fire, copious amounts of smoke. I get (yes, I'm serious here) the after taste of fruity pebbles cereal. (blech) chalky/sweet

First third - burn is straight, ash is average, very average cigar taste - I actually told my wife as I started this "it's almost like when you first light up a pipe and aren't getting the taste yet - just tobacco" I think the draw was just too loose for my palate's liking.

Second third - for me this was a one dimensional stick, as far as taste goes. "cigar" My wife said that it didn't have much of an aroma either. She is probably a better indicator on the aroma side of my reviews - she often sits with me or goes on walks with me while I smoke and tells me what she thinks (good and bad).

Last third - the stick just isn't eventful. Its fair, and every third/fourth draw I get a pleasant citrusy taste but it never stays. Never had any issues with burn as it stayed straight. The draw stayed too loose for my liking but I would have to have a couple more to see if it was that single stick or something with the make-up of the line.

For me this was barely average which I wouldn't spend more that $3-4 on.

My take a year ago when reviewing the stick:
Have had this cigar before (gifted from FGM). Enjoyed it's unique flavor profile from normal maduros. Lokking forward to this follow up.

Toro cigar, great looking oily wrapper. Wrapper has an earthy scent with the end smelling a little sweet.

Start: Great draw as it's lit with good smoke volume. A little bitter, peppery blast at the very onset that quickly subsides. Soon has the charcoaly flavor with very little sweetness that I remembered. Not something I'd smoke in my rotation, but enjoyable as a change of pace. Nice dry finish.

Mid: Slightly creaminess comes in with the carbony flavor. No sweetness at all. Toro is probably as long of a stick I'd like unless I found a better drink pairing.

Finish: Follows suit but starts to get a little tarry. Burn stayed true with good ash through out. Very nice construction

As I said, a cigar for once in a while to clear your palate. Not one I'd buy a box of, but can see always having a couple around. A great example of an untypical flavor.

Now, does anyone have a guess on what this might be?