TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Rabbi,

I want to send this question via pm in case the answer contains information that could be seen as controversial.

First, I just want to say thank you for holding this forum. I know that it helps the Jewish members on this board, but it also provides a service to those that are non-Jewish. I actually have no religious affiliation, but I'm fascinated by religious traditions.

I hope that I can describe this right. Again, this question is coming from a memory. This memory is from the movie Pi. As a caveat, I certainly don't think that the movie's portrayal of Judaism is 100% accurate, but it's the best way I can describe the question. In case you've seen the movie, you may know what this is referencing.

There is a scene where the Jewish characters are wearing some very distinct religious garments. From what I remember, it appears that they are wearing bands that are wrapped around their arms. Also, there is a band with a small box that is worn above the forehead. I know that I've seen this outside of the movie, so it doesn't appear to be fabricated to fit a motive. I just don't know to what extent this tradition is practiced or in what capacity.

I hope that I've described this accurately. What is the significance of these garments? Is it specifically for certain celebrations or holidays?

Thank you again for helping those, such as myself, ignorant of Jewish traditions to better understand a different religious perspective.

With sincerest respect and appreciation,

Not controversial at all. A very valid and important question.

Sorry just to give you a link, but this would be a really long answer and this is really the MOST comprehensive description:

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/ai...h/Tefillin.htm

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/ai...h/Tefillin.htm

Also, I have seen Pi.