View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #34
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: I can't beleive It's not Cuban...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Are you talking about looks or taste?? Or both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
Both
As far as looks, IMO there aren't many NC's that could fool you. First off they would need to have a triple cap. Not all Cubans have triple caps, but the vast majority do.

So that narrows the field down considerably for NC's. Pepin and a couple others are really the only ones using the triple cap. To me most of the Pepin blends are darker than most Cuban wrappers. So that again limits the field. Then you get into sizes, which again limits it. So you are left with a small number of smokes that may look similar to Cuban but do not taste like them.

If looks are not important, then the field is wide open. I think you will get a wide variety of answers on what taste 'Cuban' to someone. I have done a good number of blind taste tests and I have been fooled badly on ocassion.

The only cigars that fooled me on taste alone are a RyJ Reserva Real and the Fundacion Ancestral Pinar del Rio 1941.

With the RyJ Reserva Real I swore it had to be Cuban because it had a strength of flavor that I didn't think many NC's had. And with the Fundacion Ancestral Pinar del Rio 1941, it had a nice grassy taste which I associated with aged Cohiba's.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote