Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: People never cease to amaze me

In this case, there is no doubt in my mind it is not an oversight.
He knew I went to the store to buy parts for him. That is clue number one.
I gave him the receipt for the parts I bought immediately upon my return. That was clue number two.
I asked him if he had the receipt for the parts right before I left. That was clue number three.

Again, it is not about the $11 so much as it is about that I can't help but feel this guy has a sense of entitlement. I somehow can't help but think that in his mind, I somehow owed him that. That is what pisses me off about this whole thing and thank goodness I haven't told my wife. I wouldn't hear the end of it.

It is just sad that you try to do the right thing and help out a neighbor and save him tons of money at a time when people can sure use it and folks are not considerate. If someone did that for me, not only would I make sure I reimbursed him for the parts but I would also offer to pay him for his time (I wouldn't have accepted it but it is the gesture that would have counted). If he wouldn't accept it, I would try to find out what he drinks and buy him a bottle. He saw me smoking a cigar while doing the pump. Me? I would go out and buy a couple of cigars and give them and say thanks. Bottom line, I would express gratitude.

I am an idiot like this on a regular basis and is the reason I won't dare tell my wife. I trim freaking neighbor's hedges/trees with my chainsaw, I help them fix things all the time and man, I just realized, no one has ever done crap for me. I can't change my way of being overnight but tell you what, the guard is up.