Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
I was reading a bit from The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and wondered if any of you old timers could answer a question. The articles I have come across, from 20+ years ago all indicate that Orientals are Aromatic tobaccos and what we now call Aromatics were referred to as Flavored or Topped tobaccos. Anyone remember when this changed or why?
The dictionary definition of "Aromatic"

1. 1 of, relating to, or having aroma: a. a fragrant b. b having a strong smell c. c having a distinctive quality
2. 2 of an organic compound characterized by increased chemical stability resulting from the delocalization of electrons in a ring system (as benzene) containing usually multiple conjugated double bonds compare alicyclic aliphatic - Synonym - see odorous

The term aromatic does not necessarily mean smells good it just means it smells or has an aroma. Any tobacco is aromatic no matter what is done to it. In the pipe world Aromatic seems to generally mean "smells sweet," or smells like it is flavored. It's oversimplification of the word but for our purposes it seems to work.

As for the root of your question I can't exactly explain why or when the use of the term changed but I would think that the above may have some thing to do with it.

Of course I could be completely wrong.