View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice needed - Daughter thinking about servic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I can only give you the Marine perspective on this issue. Being a prior recruiter in the Marine Corps myself, he can not promise her anything unless it's in writing!!!! She wants to speak to the OSO (Officer Selection Office). If you have a degree, see the OSO, and decide to join then you'll be accepting what we know to be a commissioning. Officers get commissioned in the military. Downfall with the Marines is that you can have a degree in Biochemist Engineering and end up being commissioned in Supply.

If she wants to go enlisted (99% are usually high school grads) then she can get more of an AREA of what she qualifies for....not an exact job. For example, I enlisted in '96 under Communications. I could have been a Radioman, or a satellite operator but I ended up becoming a switchboard operator. Not my choice but I chose Communications, not the exact job.

I would advise her from my position to look into federal positions where she is more prone to use her degree and do what she really wants to do.

The federal government has a program called STEP (Student Temporary Employment Program). It is for individuals in school who can apply for part/full time jobs while currently in school. Upon graduation she can directly get hired by that federal agency if she likes and has more opportunity and has a foot in the door.

Feel free to PM me for any more info on questions you may have.
She is definitely not going in until after she has her degree. She is going to a University in France this summer. When she gets back she will only have about 20 hours left to finish her bachelors.

I will have her look into the STEP program. Thanks for the help offer. I am sure I will PM you as I have more questions.