View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question for network gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Hmmm, I think the answer to your question is no but I say that only because your router is doing the VPN. If you set up a VPN connection from your computer you could do what you want as that is what I do and the only encrypted connection is the computer IP traffic. This type of set up allows other connected devices to be routed through the router as normal.

By enabling VPN on the router, I suspect all the connections try and go encrypted? What router are you using?

I did some googling and it's possible to get what you want working but it's going to depend on the service you use to view the camera remotely as that service would have to support the VPN connection as well, e.g. Have the key in order to encrypt and decrypt the IP traffic.
I have an Asus RT-AC87U. Yes I could use the VPN per device but it wouldn't be useful for my purpose then. The main reason I am using a VPN at the router level is that I am running Fire Sticks with Kodi and am streaming, and really don't care for the ISP to know. The Fire Sticks don't have native capability to run a VPN on the device.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote