First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Thanks for the tips, Adam.
I'll likely only use it for cold smoking cheese, nuts, and such.
I feel the rest of my smokers produce enough smoke, so there's no reason to use it for additional smoking.
I see yours is on a rack, close to the cheese.
I was planning on putting mine on the bottom of the PBC.
Should I elevate it some, for better airflow? Or do you think it will be fine sitting on the bottom?
It's just close to the cheese in that photo because I'm using an old weber 18" grill and it's sitting on the charcoal rack. I suppose I could try to balance it in the center of the bowl, but I just never bothered to because the rack was simpler.

I think it will be fine on the bottom of the PBC, might even work better than the way I have it set up in the photo because the extra distance will disperse the smoke and heat enough that you can put cheese on the entire rack, including directly above it. I would think the extra air space in the PBC will help to keep temps down too.

If I fill one of the 3 channels on it with traeger pellets and light both ends, it runs for about an hour and a half which is sufficient in the weber to smoke most cheeses (some need more, some need less, sometimes the pellets don't smoke as well). I can't say, you might need more time in the PBC because of the extra volume. And, captain obvious chiming in, for cheese and some cured meats you have to do these early in the morning when the air is still cool and the sun hasn't started hitting the smoker.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote