View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #17
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Starting my research on a new furnace.

Resurrecting an old thread of mine. Never did replace my furnace two years ago. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and the blower started acting up. Missed a couple heating cycles where the blower never came on, plus was squeaking at low speeds. It only did it that one day. Still, I Had a tech come inspect it, showed me a couple spots on in the heat exchanger that could develop into problems, so asked for a quote. I'm having other contractors come out and give me quotes. Guy shows up today, looks at it and tells me he wouldn't replace it yet. Still works, isn't putting out any CO (I just put a second detector in the house per his recommendation), so why spend the money. Also points out its a 80% efficient unit, not the 60% the other guy did. And decodes the date code to show it was produced at the end of 85, not 83 like the first guy. I have to say his candidness to not make a sale caught me off guard. This is the same guy who helped me fix my moms furnace a while back over the Xmas holiday. I'll likely use him when I do decide to replace it.

I've got two more quotes coming but may just wait until it finally does die before replacing.