View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Temp control - how important is it?

Let me expand a bit on my cigar storage methodology.

First off, I don't pay attention to the humidity readings on the few hygrometers I still have that work. I've adjusted my humidity setpoints based on how the cigars feel and smoke. It did take a few years to figure out what made me happy on that score. Supple enough to squeeze a bit without cracking the wrapper, but dry enough to smoke without the danger of accidently sucking my tongue down my throat.

Secondly, most of my stock lives in an Aristocrat with the "Set and Forget" temperature/humidity system. The system works well and I did exactly that years back - set it and forgot about it.

I found that for me, setting the humidity for 60% gives me what I want both for aging and for smoking. Now the actual readings will vary at different locations throughout the cabinet - some areas will be in the mid to upper 50s and other areas in the lower 60s. No large storage area will be completely constant. And I suspect I store my cigars at a much lower humidity than most. Anywhere from the mid 50s to low 60s is what I shoot for.

Because I live in the desert where it can get warm (115 yesterday), I ordered the cabinet with double cooling units. I keep the system set at 72, while my home A/C is at 78 so the cooling units do cycle off and on during the warmer months. And if I go on vacation and up the setting for the house while we're gone, the Aristocrat maintains itself fine.

Most manufacturers take measures to kill the bugs before the cigars leave their control. And as I said, I keep mine at 72 degrees so if I did get any with eggs, they most likely wouldn't hatch until I moved them into my death row humidor. I'd see the bugs quickly then. So I don't worry about freezing cigars. Never have. (And back in the days before the internet, I didn't even know about tobacco beetles. All those years I should have been worrying, and didn't. The horror of it.)

So yeah, all I do anymore is buy 'em, stack 'em and smoke 'em. I don't worry about what the hygrometers say (did I mention most of mine no longer work?). I let the Set and Forget system do it's thing. I sleep well.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote