View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: Working on tobacco farms

Exploitation of labour is universal - in every industry. Coffee and cocoa are probably worse offenders (check out the move "Black Coffee"). The clothing industry, etc etc. Ethically grown anything is hard to come by, and you won't buy terribly many things direct from source anymore. If you think people are treated badly, have a look at what we do with animals.

It's a big political question, and I don't have a solution, but suspect if North American consumerism ceases then most Third World economies will simply fail.

No point beating yourself up (or denying it for that matter) - So put your money into helping out - World Vision etc. Recently bought some "Blessed Leaf of Karos" - they're trying to give back, and many smokers on this forum are involved in advocacy for workers in Cuba, Honduras and other SA countries. Even if only token, it's kinda cool really....

AS for kids working - I guess I always had a summer job! Granted not toxic chemicals but I always valued the opportunity to have some cash on hand as a kid. It's when families find themselves all needing to do this that there is a nastier game in town.

Last edited by nutcracker; 07-14-2014 at 10:27 AM.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote