Thread: Mexican Puros?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Mexican Puros?

For most of our lifetimes it was illegal for Mexican cigar makers to use any imported tobacco. Unfortunately during the early years of the "Cigar Boom" every magazine, forum, and blog ripped Mexican puros to shreds. The Mexican puro market went directly into the toilet. The government finally wised up and now allows imported tobacco.

You've got to realize what these are, pure Mexican. Some people love the funky barnyard taste and smell. Others hate it. The Turrents have been trying, with limited success IMHO, to use imported tobaccos to improve their smokes.

I happen to enjoy a nice Mexican puro once in a while. If that's your everyday smoke you are a better man than me!

Check out JR Cigar for the Santa Clara brand. These occasionally win awards, I don't know why. Te-Amo is the best of the Mexican puros.
I especially like the "Robusto" which is much bigger than the industry standard.

It's funny that on the rare occasion I fire up a Te-Amo my wife will comment (yell) PU! is that a Mexican? Even she can smell that funky barnyard smell, that if you enjoy it, is wonderful.

Also check out Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of cigars. A wealth of information about blends and brands.