View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #36
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Humidity Problem

Retracing my steps with the Bourbon St humidor. It measures 18 X 11 X 7 inches or 1400 cubic inches, and I have two Heartfelt bead cylinders in it, each good to regulate rH for up to 2000 cubic inches; I am generous with the beads to maintain stability. After an initial successful seasoning with the wet sponge inserted, the 24 hour test showed a decrease in the rH by 5 points, but although this was the maximum decrease permissible, it was still within range, so I put the cigars and the beads inside, and for about 3 weeks the humidity was stabile at 63 rH. Also, the hygrometer had been calibrated before any of the above was done.

But after these 3 weeks the rH went down to 61, and even though I spritzed both cylinders, it remains there. All this leads me to think that the initial seasoning was incomplete. It could be that the beads need more water added, but if I check them and find they are good, it must be the seasoning. It is a well-made humidor, my only detraction that instead of using solid cedar, it only has a lining 1/4" thick. Though I don't think that any joint is improperly made, leaking air, this could also be the cause of the problem.

To do:

1. do the business card test for proper closure of the lid. If this is a problem, have at it with blue tape
2. check the beads for proper hydration

If I don't find a problem there, re-season. If there is still a problem after re-seasoning, having already fixed the lid closure with blue tape, silicon the joints.

I just added a third medium-large used Diamond Crown humidor; at this point none of them are good, but heh, it's a learning process.

Comments by seasoned humidor guys most welcome.
'
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote